The Founding Of This Institution Date Way Back in 1924
Cebu International School is a private secular institution offering a Preschool to Grade 12 international education. CIS is non-stock, non-profit, self-sustaining corporation governed by a Board of Trustees elected from the parent body.
The school aims to develop well-balanced global citizens who are intelligent, environmentally concerned and respectful of universal moral values within the multinational environment of an ever changing interdependent world.
Cebu International School was founded in 1924 as the Cebu American School and grew from a multi-level tutorial 5-room schoolhouse to a complete K through 12 school by 1986. Generally international in curriculum, CIS is a day school which uses English as the language of instruction and follows a calendar year from August to May.
The early pupils of Cebu American School, singing songs of laughter and joy.
The original school was situated in Gorordo Avenue, Lahug, Cebu City and in 1973 moved to Banilad, a 2.3-hectar lot leased from the provincial government. In 2000 CIS moved to its new, permanent, purpose-built 3.2-hectar campus in Pit-os. The campus has 3.2 hectares of land, 7,500 square meters of instructional space which includes classrooms, laboratories, computer rooms, art rooms, music rooms, canteen, offices and a gymnasium. The football field is full-sized, the car park can hold 150 cars and the compound is very secure.
In conjuction with the move to Pit-os the school also obtained authorization to Implement the International Baccalaureate Programme in 1999 and in 2001 received a six year accreditation period with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
In Febuary of 2003, the school was pleased to be awarded Republic Act 9190 from the Philippines Government giving CIS full recognition as an educational institution, international in character. CIS is the only school in the Visayas region with this recognition.
Republic Act 9190 further resulted in the revision of the school’s By-laws. The essence of the revision was that the school is now governed by an elected ten member Board of Trustees selected from within the school’s international parent community.
In School Year 2007-2008, Cebu International School attained international accreditation through the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), as well as PAASCU Accreditation within the Philippines. The fact that Cebu International School is the only school in the Philippines that is accredited with all three organizations of CIS (Council of International Schools), WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) and PAASCU (Philippines Accrediting Association of Schools Colleges and Universities) means that we hold a unique position within the spectrum of education offerings in the Philippines
The school serves a broad based community that includes both Filipino citizens and expatriates who wish to have their children pursue tertiary studies either locally or abroad.